TX NATURAL RESOURCES CODE
SUBTITLE B. SURVEYS AND SURVEYORS
CHAPTER 61. USE AND MAINTENANCE OF PUBLIC BEACHES
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS
§ 61.001. DEFINITIONS.
In this chapter:
(1) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of the
General Land Office.
(2) "Construction" means causing or carrying out any
building, bulkheading, filling, clearing, excavation, or any
substantial improvement to land or the size of any structure.
(3) "Department" means the Parks and Wildlife
(4) "Land office" means the General Land Office.
(5) "Line of vegetation" means the extreme seaward
boundary of natural vegetation which spreads continuously inland.
(6) "Littoral owner" means the owner of land adjacent
to the shore and includes a lessee, licensee, or anyone acting under
the littoral owner's authority.
(7) "Local government" means a municipality, county,
or any other political subdivision of the state.
(8) "Public beach" means any beach area, whether
publicly or privately owned, extending inland from the line of mean
low tide to the line of vegetation bordering on the Gulf of Mexico
to which the public has acquired the right of use or easement to or
over the area by prescription, dedication, presumption, or has
retained a right by virtue of continuous right in the public since
time immemorial, as recognized in law and custom. This definition
does not include a beach that is not accessible by a public road or
public ferry as provided in Section 61.021 of this code.
Acts 1977, 65th Leg., p. 2477, ch. 871, art. I, § 1, eff. Sept. 1,
1977. Amended by Acts 1991, 72nd Leg., ch. 295, § 4, eff. June 7,