TX NATURAL RESOURCES CODE
SUBTITLE B. SURVEYS AND SURVEYORS
CHAPTER 31. GENERAL LAND OFFICE
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS
§ 31.001. DEFINITIONS.
In this chapter:
(1) "Appraiser" means a state-certified or
state-licensed real estate appraiser who:
(A) is employed by or contracts with the land
(B) performs professional valuation services
completely and in a manner that is independent, impartial, and
(2) "Board" means the School Land Board.
(3) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of the
General Land Office.
(4) "Division" means the asset management division of
the General Land Office or any other division delegated the duties
of the asset management division by the commissioner.
(5) "Evaluation report" means the annual report
prepared by the commissioner as provided by Subchapter E.
(6) "Exchange" means an exchange of equal value or an
exchange of real property accompanied by consideration.
(7) "Governor's report" means the report prepared by
the commissioner as provided by Section 31.157.
(8) "Institution of higher education" means the Texas
State Technical College System, the Southwest Collegiate Institute
for the Deaf, or an institution of higher education, excluding a
public junior college, as defined by Section 61.003, Education
(9) "Land office" means the General Land Office.
(10) "Market value" means the value of real property
determined by an appraisal of the real property performed by an
(11) "Political subdivision" means a municipality,
county, public school district, levee improvement district,
municipal utility district, or any other special purpose district
authorized by state law.
(12) "Real estate transaction" means a sale, lease,
trade, exchange, gift, grant, or other conveyance of a real
(13) "Real property owned by the state" means any
interest in real property in the possession of the state or a state
agency, including real property held in trust by a state agency.
(14) "State" means the State of Texas.
(15) "State agency" means a board, commission,
department, institution, office, or other agency of state
government, including an institution of higher education but
excluding a special purpose district or authority.
Acts 1977, 65th Leg., p. 2370, ch. 871, art. I, § 1, eff. Sept. 1,
1977. Amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1091, § 1, eff. June